Hi, my name is Cynthia Butare.
I am a creative who has been living back home for the past 6 years.
I use this space to share a representation of Rwanda that fights bias and broadens perceptions.
Being convinced that creativity is intimately linked to the very essence of who we are, I moved to Rwanda to stimulate new ideas and reorient my thoughts, hoping to produce striking visuals with more depth and nuance.
While my approach is plural involving writing, photography, videography – it focuses on culture, identity, and self-expression with poetry and sensibility to soothe the soul and enliven the spirits.
November 2019 - present
Rwanda Development Board
August 2016 - present
July 2015 - July 2016
Illume Creative Studio
in-house content creator
The Rwanda Development Board (RDB) is the one-stop agency focusing on attracting, retaining and facilitating investment in the national economy. As an analyst in the comms division, my role is to:
• organize and coordinate photo and video shoots;
• supervise the development of training content for communication staff
• work closely with communication staff from pre-production to post-production;
• formulate narrative structure in pre-production;
• coordinate work allowing cohesive teamwork for all parties involved throughout all stages of visual content projects;
• develop monitoring and evaluation mechanism;
• provide strategic support to communication staff recruitment;
• coordinate media engagement plans;
• work with RDB to produce content and information;
• supervise the uploading of materials;
• assess the impact of RDB online content;
• review RDB communication impact in coordination with MDAs;
• monitor implementation of RDB communications campaigns;
• analyze media reports and advise accordingly;
• prepare TOR for communication related activities.
Kezo Comms was founded to offer B2B services with the understanding of the value of creative, professionally-produced content, especially in the current digital age. However, to achieve rich content, it is crucial to carry out sufficient groundwork consisting of audits, strategy and content development, hence why Kezo Comms assists businesses to craft content that converts audiences into customers. Kezo Comms stands for effective content that is strategized, targeted and aligned with a brand's goals.
As a visual content producer my role is to:
• Create campaign concepts, organizes and coordinates photo and video shoots, while working closely with clients to streamline campaign strategies to fit their brands;
• Work closely with clients from pre-production to post-production and distribution;
• Conduct audits to identify businesses' most marketable assets and provide recommendations on how to improve their online presence;
• Write and put together concept notes allowing cohesive teamwork for all parties involved throughout all the stages of the project;
• Strategize client content to match buyers' journey;
• Translate client business needs into visual concepts that communicate a brand's story;
• Work closely with clients to ensure all requirements are implemented;
• Organize and coordinate photo and video shoots;
• Formulate narrative structure during post-production.
Hired as an in-house content creator, my duties include:
• Creating original content for Illume original content and for corporate clients such as Entreprenarium, Same Skye, the Mastercard Foundation and The Africa Channel
• Crafting punchy content that communicates corporate clients’ core objectives in an easy-to-follow format;
• Communicating and sharing with management to receive feedback;
• Supporting management throughout the execution of campaigns for clients;
• Ensuring all content produced meets the needs, requirements and brand values;
• Taking initiative to propose new ideas/approaches;
• Giving input to creative meetings and sharing ideas;
• Pitching creative ideas to management.